Sunday 19 July 2009

Summary Sunday

Hi all!

I've had a reasonable productive week or two since coming back from the holidays.

I've got caught up in the whole GenealogyWise thing. I think it's going to be a useful tool in the future but will take a while to settle down. At the moment there are so many groups that I think will ultimately fall by the wayside while some are active already. I've joined a few and will let you know about about any progress that I made. So far I've answered some queries about Excel, contacted someone who has information about my husband's BOXALL family and read a lot of comment wall posts.

I've become a GOON! I've been thinking about it for a while and took the plunge this week to join the Guild of One Name Studies. I haven't registered a surname yet but have already found the resources available to members useful. I'm trying to tie up as many TILLINs as I can so hopefully I'll pick up tips from the Guild.

Thanks to Ancestry it's been quite easy to pull together all the TILLIN births and marriages now as they've added a full transcription of the indices for births and marriages - hopefully the deaths aren't too far away. So I've been able to add to some of the aunts and uncles with a few more life events.

Another discovery was that my local library membership also gives me access to some useful sites, including the Times archive, for free and from my home over the internet. So far I've not found much on my initial browse but I'm hoping to discover some stories about my ancestors.

I'm hoping to get some more work done this week so hopefully I'll have some discoveries to tell you about.

PS It was also the start of a new series of Who Do You Think You Are this week - Davina McCall has some interesting ancestors!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jo, your husband's BOXALLs weren't from West Dean, Sussex by any chance were they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite a few GOONs are now mapping the distribution of surnames using Map My Ancestors which will take your GEDCOM files and plot them on Google Earth, Google Maps, Bing maps etc.

    All the best

    Tim

    ReplyDelete